What is ‘Transition to School’?
The aim of this programme is to give your child a ‘Head Start’ with his/her progress, when beginning school and to make the transition a positive one for both you, and your child.
Our ‘Head Start’ Transition to School Programme
- Will consist of 2-3 visits depending on your child’s needs.
- Will ideally take place during the two to three weeks before they start school.
- Involves your child in some structured learning activities.
- Demonstrates teaching and learning strategies that you as parents/caregivers can use.
- Clarifies expectations and requirements for success at school.
- Helps promote the positive behaviours that will lead to success at school.
- Involves a meeting for parents.
- Aspects of literacy and numeracy programmes.
- Discovery based activities, which allows teachers to notice children’s interests and will be used to support programme planning and support friendships.
- Handouts about: how children learn and make progress; how you can help at home and concepts/skills the children will learn in their first year at school.